Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tricorn.

So I found this brown floppy hat at Mervyn's a couple years ago for $5, but when I tried to wear it, the wind would blow the brim up and it just looked silly. So it has sat in my closet for a while.







Then, struck by inspiration, I pinned the sides up and created a tricorn! INFINITELY cooler!





Now, of course, I have to make a costume to go with it. My first thought was a late 18th century riding habit, since (from what I've read) women would only wear tricorns when riding. I like these two habits from Brotherhood of the Wolf.



I'm having trouble deciding between them, because I LOVE waistcoats (and found fabric to match the one in the picture), but at the same time, double breasted is one of my favorite looks, and I really like the wide cuffs. If I made the double breasted jacket, then it would probably be dark green (I think it's black in the pic, but hard to tell).

There's also this one from a painting that I like, with a closed jacket and pointed waistcoat; it seems a little more feminine to me than the other two.



But then I thought, instead of going to all the trouble of making another dress, why don't I make a suit instead? After all, it's on my to do list, and it would be a nice change of pace, and easier to wear than huge skirts. So I am in a four-way dilemma, it appears.










No comments:

Post a Comment