Thursday, January 8, 2009

Quick Corsetry


So I've been whipping up a 1860's corset over the past couple days so I can start making the bodice for the day dress. I used a tightly woven white yard-sale find (so exact fiber content is unknown, but I would guess a linen-cotton blend) and boned it with plastic cable ties. These work WAY better than the flimsy spiral steel boning that I used for my first corset, which I recently ravaged for its lacing bones and hook-and-eye tape. Instead of buying a steel busk, I used hooks and eyes to close the front. It's unlined, with twill tape boning casings. It's sort of a quickie budget corset, but it will serve my purposes for now.


Here's a pic of it so far, I just need to handsew 30 eyelets (I need to get a grommet setter!) and bind the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment